Welcome to The University of Queensland’s Pressbooks site. UQ is committed to supporting the creation of Open Educational Resources (OER) to benefit student learning.
Pressbooks is simple book production software based on the WordPress authoring platform. UQ staff can create and publish open textbooks and other OER in multiple formats including:
- Web book
- Print and digital PDF
Pressbooks is used by educational institutions around the world as well as authors and publishers.
What are Open Textbooks?
Open textbooks are a type of Open Educational Resource (OER) that is licensed under an open copyright licence and is made freely available in the public domain. They are available for anyone to use and share. UQ’s Pressbooks site allows you to create your own book or adapt an existing open book. You can include a range of features, including activities and links to media and published books can be downloaded in a range of formats.
What are the benefits of open textbooks?
Benefits for students
- Free access to the open textbook. The cost of textbooks can be a barrier to student success.
- No limitations on access. This can be of particular concern during assessment time.
- An increased sense of belonging due to the inclusion of local context and a diversity of viewpoints.
- Lifelong learning – students retain access to resources beyond graduation.
Benefits for teachers
- Tailor the content to enhance deeper learning and engagement.
- Add local context, Indigenous perspectives and a diversity of viewpoints.
- Update your textbook immediately and easily.
- Add rich multimedia and interactivity.
- Co-create content with your students.
Open Textbooks @ UQ is managed for UQ by the Library. To find out more about creating or adapting an open book:
- Contact email@example.com; or
- Join our Digital Practices Lab community on Microsoft Teams: