Welcome to The University of Queensland’s Pressbooks site. UQ is committed to supporting the creation of Open Educational Resources (OER) to benefit student learning.
It’s managed for UQ by the Library. Find out more by visiting the Digital Practices Lab and joining our community on Microsoft Teams.
Pressbooks is simple book production software based on the WordPress authoring platform. UQ staff can create and publish open textbooks and other OER in multiple formats including:
- MOBI (for Kindle ebooks)
- EPUB (for all other ebookstores)
- designed PDF (for print-on-demand and digital distribution)
Pressbooks is used by educational institutions around the world as well as authors and publishers.
What are Open Textbooks?
Open textbooks are a type of Open Educational Resource (OER) that is licensed under an open copyright license and is made freely available in the public domain. They are available for anyone to use and share. UQ’s Pressbooks site allows you to create your own book or adapt an existing open book. You can include a range of features, including activities and links to media and published books can be downloaded in a range of formats.
What are the benefits of open textbooks?
Benefits for students
- Relieves financial stress – the need to purchase a textbook is removed.
- Equitable access to learning resources – all students have access to their core learning materials from the first day of class.
- Lifelong learning – students retain access to resources beyond graduation.
Benefits for teachers
- Flexibility of content – easy to add local context, indigenous perspectives and a diversity of viewpoints.
- Interactive – quizzes, media, exercises and slides can be easily incorporated.
- Supports open pedagogy – co-creation of open textbooks with students supports deeper learning and engagement with course content.