The Open Textbooks @ UQ program offers grants to assist UQ academics to adapt or create open textbooks and prescribe them in their courses.
To apply for a grant, read our Grant Application FAQs and complete and submit the:
Grants will be evaluated against the grant eligibility requirements and the ability to deliver on the expected outcomes.
The grant program has four priorities for funding allocation:
- To improve the student experience by providing access to low-cost learning resources
- To deliver value to the Library’s collection budget for learning resources by providing an alternative to commercially published textbooks.
- To contribute to increased digital learning capabilities for UQ staff and students.
- To encourage cross-faculty and institutional collaborations on Pressbook projects for mutual benefit.
There are two types of grants available:
- Substantially adapt an existing open textbook to your instructional needs — $2,000
- Create an open textbook to replace a commercially published textbook for your course — $4,000.
Funds may be used to cover any of the costs associated with producing your book including professional copy editing and development of ancillary resources.
To be considered for the Library’s Open Textbook Grant Program, you should:
- be currently engaged as a teaching staff member at UQ
- provide written support from your school Teaching and Learning Committee for your proposal.
Materials produced following a successful grant application should be:
- published on the Library’s publishing platform Open Textbooks @ UQ within 12 months of grant approval
- published with a Creative Commons licence that allows others to copy, distribute and make non-commercial use of your work. The Creative Commons licence should allow derivatives
- implemented in your course for at least two semesters
- reviewed each semester to ensure currency.
Read Author and publisher responsibilities for further information about requirements.
For more information on the Open Textbooks @ UQ grant program, please contact email@example.com