Lesson 7 activities (hands off)
Let's talk about Brazilian culture
Answer the questions below.
Now, read the excerpts to answer the questions below.
Thinking about ethnicities and processes of racial miscegenation, check the names of social groups below and identify them with groups in your own country. To complete this activity, you may like check the suggested dictionaries below. Please note that if the following are not available, you may like to use other dictionaries.
- The Routledge Portuguese Bilingual Dictionary: Portuguese-English and English-Portuguese (Allen, 2014).
- English-Portuguese Translator’s Dictionary: English-Portuguese Dictionary for Translators (Korytowski, 2015).
- Forest-dwelling Indians
- Coal Black
Check the excerpts below, taken from a set of Anthropology texts. How would you describe these geographic spaces in English? Discuss in groups of 3 or 4 the potential translation of these excerpts into your native language.
Discuss the following questions with your classmates.
- In this lesson, were you able to learn more about Brazilian culture and English vocabulary about this country?
- What was it like to use the suggested dictionaries?
- Do you think that dictionaries can be used to learn about culture?